Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Silent Period and Journaling at The Yoga Mindfulness Retreat

Recently I found this in one of my journals and want to share it with you.  During our April 21 and 22 Yoga Mindfulness Retreat, these thoughts may be useful to you.  Writing in your journal is one of the activities you may choose during the 2-hour period of silence.  (What that really means is simply that there is no talking.)  I remember my first attempt at a silent period during a two-day retreat when many moments I was tempted to speak.  The most difficult time was during the meals.  I learned to sit anywhere but directly across from someone.  Once our eyes met it was nearly impossible to NOT say something.  I learned quickly to NOT look at another person.  After the first day, it became easier, but still very difficult not acknowledging the presence of another person.  BUT, the silent periods were very rewarding.  Now I look forward to daily silent periods and even find myself during the day NOT responding to every single thing another person says!  Try it, you might like it!  As with any new practice, it takes practice.  It is a way to make "the mind tranquil and pure."  Bring your own journal if you wish, but we'll provide a pad you can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment